Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Gallery/Studio/Barbara Lane

While I work primarily at home in a funky old space that used to be the kitchen of a summer cottage, I fire and glaze, as well as show and sell my work down in North Hartland, Vermont, at EARTHSTAR POTTERY. Earthstar is run, managed and inspired by it's founder and owner, Barbara Lane. I'll try not to gush too dramatically about Barbara, but I can't help doing just that for a wee bit... for she is a wonderfully charismatic teacher who has in a little less than a year of being open, attracted a more or less stable base of about 20 ongoing students, apprentices, assistants and assorted in-betweens who look to her for support, technical assistance, career advice, and friendship in context of their aspirations in ceramics. She is deeply knowledgeable, highly organized, excited about clay and art in general, and a wonderful potter with 20 plus years of experience in hand building. She takes all of that experience, along with her non-judgemental approach to teaching to offer an on-going series of classes on hand building and glazing that guide even beginners to the completion of successful pots right from the start. I'll be promoting Earthstar Pottery on and off throughout this site. Needless to say, I am totally biased. It has been there, and with Barbara's guidance, that I have been able to slowly progress and develop as a potter in the past year. Barbara sells her work from the gallery in the studio, as well as at a few other local galleries and craft stores. I'll get some photos of her work soon.... I also sell out of her gallery, my only public venue at present. Perhaps I will sell from this venue as well. I'm not sure what the exact protocol for selling via a blog is, but I suppose it's possible and I'll work on that.

THE BASICS

EarthStar Pottery
Hand-Built Stoneware by Barbara Lane and John Quimby
619 Rt. 5, North Hartland, Vermont
Open Sat. and Sun. from 1PM to 4PM, and, by appointment or chance
(802) 295 2922

1 comment:

kim said...

really nice work,I am just beginning to play with neriage.thank you